Do you want to randomize answer choices? Qualtrics allows you to randomly present all choices, some choices, or even force some responses to stay in place while others move around them.
Check out all the options available on this page.
To Use Choice Randomization:
- Select the question with the answer choices you will be randomizing.
- Click the Purple Gear Box that appears to the left of the question, and then Randomization.
- Select a randomization option.
- No Randomization: The default option. Does not randomize the answer choices.
- Randomize the order of all choices: Randomizes all choices for respondents.
- Present only __ of total choices: Randomly displays a specified number of choices from the total choices available.
- Advanced Randomization: Allows for more randomization options. Move choices in or out of randomization options using the left and right arrow buttons.
- Fixed Display Order: Shows the choices in the order that they will appear and if a choice is randomized.
- Randomize Choices: Randomizes order of all choices moved into this area.
- Randomize Subset: Allows you to specify a number of choices to be randomly chosen by the system and displayed (2 of 4, 3 of 7, and so on).
- Undisplayed Items: Allows you to specify certain choices that you don’t want displayed at all (sometimes useful when using Carry Forward).
- Evenly Present Elements: Allows you to choose a subset of choices to present randomly, yet evenly, so that the same amount of people will see each answer choice.
- Fixed Display Order is used to predetermine the order of some answer choices. For example, if a choice should always appear last, even when you are randomizing other choices, then you can move that answer choice to the bottom of the list in the Fixed Display Order. You can move answer choices up or down in the list by using the up and down arrows to the left of the question.
- You can download the randomization order on the Download Data page. Select Export Randomized Viewing Order data in the View Results tab when downloading data. The display order appears in the last column of your data file and will be separated by a bar (|) if multiple choices were displayed.