Make choice exclusive within a group only for multiple choice question | XM Community
Solved

Make choice exclusive within a group only for multiple choice question

• 22 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone!
I am struggling with a multiple choice question for which I need to make one answer choice exclusive within a group, but not for all groups in a question, plus have the choices in that first group be multiple.
What I mean is, I have a multiple choice question with 8 choices (A-H below) that can be divided into 2 groups. In group 1 (A-D) there is one choice that cannot be selected with any of the other 3 in that group (option D), but the other 3 (A-C) can be chosen together (multiple choice). Options in group 2 an be combined with all others within their group and group 1 without restrictions (only obviously that A-C are not selected with D). 
So, is there a way to mark option D as exclusive within Group 1, but still be able to choose D AND any option in group 2?
Thank you for any suggestion you can give!

Group 1
A- can be selected with all, but D
B- can be selected with all, but D
C- can be selected with all, but D
D- cannot be selected with A, B, C, but can be selected with E-H
Group 2
E- can be selected with all 
F- can be selected with all
G- can be selected with all
H- can be selected with all

icon

Best answer by sumikoh 28 May 2020, 01:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

You can achieve this by 2 methods.

1. Create 2 multi select questions and make the choice exclusive in each question. You will have to hide the space between the two questions using JS.

2. You can write custom JS code and run loop in each group such that once exclusive option checked then uncheck other options from the same group and vice a versa.

Thank you for the prompt response SurajK ! I think I'll try option 1.

Leave a Reply