Presenting questions from two pools in a fixed order while presented randomly & without duplications | XM Community
Question

Presenting questions from two pools in a fixed order while presented randomly & without duplications

Dear all,
I am using Qualitrics for the first time and I need your help setting the following experiment in Qualtrics. I have tried to find the anwser to my question in the forums but no luck thus far. Any help is highly appriciated.
My experiment features 30 items of which 10 items are regular test items and 20 items are fillers which aim to direct respondents away from the purpose of the study. I would like to randomly offer these items, but avoid scenario's where participants are shown mutiple test items in a row. Therefore I would like to offer the test items and fillers in a fixed order, say:
filler; filler; test item; filler; test item, filler, etcetera.
All participants are presented the same 30 items in total and I would like to randomly assign a filler and test item conform the given fixed order while preventing item duplications.
To summarise, the result should look something like the below while preventing respondents facing the same item mutiple times:

1. random filler (1/20)

2. random filler (1/20)

3. random test item (1/10)

4. random filler (1/20)

5. random test item (1/10)

6. random filler (1/20)

Thank you in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can use advanced question randomization option in block options. But adding this will ignore page breaks, so from look and feel you can specify one in the textbox - question per page.

thank you for your quick response.
I had looked at advanced question randimization in block options, however this seems to only allow for randomization within blocks. When working with mutiple blocks I have not found a way to prevent item duplications;
For example when I present a random test item in block 1 and a random test item in block 5, a respondent could be presented the same item in blocks 1 and 5.
Is there a work-around for this perhaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Let me know if I am getting this wrong. But I am assuming the 30 items to be 30 questions. So if you will put all the 30 items in one block then we can achieve the mentioned randomization.

Leave a Reply