How to configure DKIM in Linux CentOS 6.10 with BIND9 | XM Community
Question

How to configure DKIM in Linux CentOS 6.10 with BIND9

• 17 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello,

We're having an issue implementing DKIM in our organization to use custom FROM email addresses. We are not familiar with DKIM evidently. Anyone willing to help us figure out what we're doing wrong.
Our IT team went to lengths to let me know what they've done, see below:
Our external DNS runs on a Linux server running the CentOS 6.10 operating system and BIND 9. DNS entries are maintained by editing the zone file in the /var/named directory and then restarting the named daemon.
In this case I edited the zone file to include the TXT record you provided:
qualtrics._domainkey.universitydomain.edu TXT "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=......thescretcodegoeshere......."

DNS itself it pretty straightforward. I don't know if there is more to what it means to "publishing."

I already went back and forth with Qualtrics support (Ticket ID: 8MG0171F7OOL) and their support doesn't extend to helping us with validating our DNS setup.

Any help would be appreciate it!

2 replies

Hi,
If the DNS server running on CentOS 6.10 (or hgher) is indeed a public DNS server, which means it is available over the internet and serving your domain name it should be able to 'publish' the records.
Because I do not know the domainname in use I cannot verify it, but if you're using the bind tools package, you could do the following:
dig ns domainname
It should give a list of the DNS servers for your domain. It should point to publically available DNS servers, otherwise it won't work.
If you are inside your company network, you could also use:
dig @8.8.8.8 ns domainname
This shows the same, but then seen from the outside. If it throws an error it might be that DNS access is restricted.
You can verify if the domainkey is published correctly by doing:
dig @8.8.8.8 txt qualtrics._domainkey.domainname
Where the DNS entry should exactly be as given to you by qualtrics.
Good luck.

Badge

Thank you!. Our IT team was able to figure out what was going on and our DKIM is now published and operational.

Leave a Reply