Scoring Drag & Drop items per question | XM Community
Solved

Scoring Drag & Drop items per question

• 19 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,
I am using a drag & drop question to get my participants to 4 sort items into either a MATCH or NONMATCH condition. Depending on the trial, will depend on the number of items that correctly go into either the match or nonmatch group. I therefore will need to allocate scores per item when placed into the correct category.
I have 5 drag and drop questions per trial with a correct answer configuration as follows (M = match; NM = nonmatch):
i) 4 NM items
ii) 3 NM + 1 M items
iii) 2NM + 2 M items
iv) 1 NM + 3 M items
v) 4 M items

I have looked on other threads placed on Qualtrics community and the internet in general, and have seen that there is a Branch logic method I could use, by also including an embedded calculation. However, with 4 items in each drag and drop, this will be a total of 16 combinations per question - therefore 80 branch logic segments per trial. This may get a bit wild in the survey flow. This also does not allow me to examine individual answers, as it will end up being a calculation of scores per question.

Is there anyway that I can score each item individually (correct = 1, incorrect = 0) in an easier way than that described above so that I can also examine the individual answers for future statistical calculations (e.g., hit rates, and correct rejections).

I am happy to expand on anything if unclear.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by TomG 19 June 2020, 17:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

It isn't very clear. Are you using a Matrix Drag and Drop? If so, it is essentially a Likert and you can use scoring. You can create multiple scoring categories to score on a per question basis. To get a total you can either set up a total category or use a math operation to add the question scores together.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Tom,
Thank you for your response - I shall try to expand a bit more to be clearer. Here is the design structure:

image.pngAs you can see there will be 4 items that will placed in either the Match or Non-match condition (for context, these will be audio clips, with a task to decide whether these clips matched a previously heard audio clip or not). I know there is no conventional way of scoring drag & drop questions, but what I will need to do is provide a score for each item that is correctly placed in either category. This will be repeated 5 times (hence the configuration listed above).
If I were to use the first one for example (4NM), all 4 items would score a point each for being correctly placed in the nonmatch condition, 3 if only 3 of the 4 and so on. Likewise, the second example (3NM + 1M), 3 items would score a point for being correctly placed in the nonmatch condition and 1 item would score a point for being correctly placed in the match condition.
Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Switch your question from a Pick/Group/Rank to a Matrix Drag and Drop. It is a better match for what you are trying to do AND you can score it since it is a Likert Matrix.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

That is amazing! Thank you Tom! I honestly never gave that a thought.

I have a follow-up question. For Pick/Group/Rank I can adjust the size of the bucket. Does anyone know how this works for matrix drag&drop?

For P/G/R I used:
jQuery(".groupsContainerTd div>div,#QID13group0").css("min-height","700px")
group0 refers to the bucket in the Pick/Group/Rank question. I guess I have to replace that with the name for the bucket in the matrix question, but cannot find out what it is.

Thank you
Andreas

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/41998#Comment_41998Your question doesn't have anything to do with scoring. Anyway, the answer buckets are in a container with the class "AnswerContainer". Use your browser's inspect feature for more details.

Thanks Tom! That is a good starting point. Have to figure out the syntax, but this helps a lot.

Best,
Andreas

Leave a Reply