Customizing Questions/Choices via Predetermined List for Each Respondent | XM Community
Solved

Customizing Questions/Choices via Predetermined List for Each Respondent

• 22 June 2020
  • 3 replies

My statistical collaboration team is working with a psychology researcher that needs to deploy her experiment via Qualtrics. We need to embed some logic that pops up specific cases to rate based on the respondent ID. Each case could be a question or a choice in a single question.
For example:
Respondent 1 gets cases: 1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 12
Respondent 2 gets cases: 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 12
Respondent 3 gets cases: 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11
The choices cannot be randomized. They have to follow a table with designated cases particular to each respondent. Otherwise, she will confound her rater characteristics with the characteristics of the items being rated, rendering her experiment useless. What is the most efficient way to do this in Qualtrics? The number of participants could be around 200 so we would like to load the options from a spreadsheet versus program them individually via logic statements.

Thanks for any help you can give!

icon

Best answer by TomG 22 June 2020, 20:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We can create a external API ( this API will receive a request and based on the respondent number return which questions and options need to be displayed) and then using web service call this API to show particular questions or options

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You can upload the cases as an embedded data field or fields in your contact list, then use display logic on your questions or choices to display the case question/choice or not.
If you use one embedded field make your case ids unique (e.g., 01, 02, 07, 08, 11, 12) so you can use "contains" in the display logic (i.e, if they were 1, 2, ... 11, 12 contains '2' would be found for 2 and 12) . If they are separate fields (case1, case2, etc.) just make them 1's and 0's.

Thanks Tom! I had looked at the embedded data fields as a possibility but didn't want to go on a wild goose chase given the researcher needs to deploy the survey in two weeks. I will have her take a look at this option.

Leave a Reply