Non-repeating within-subject randomizer | XM Community
Solved

Non-repeating within-subject randomizer

• 25 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi, I'm designing a within-subject experiment and I'm having trouble finding instructions on either the Support or Community site.
I want to present each participant with 4 conditions (AA, AB, BA, BB) and have them view one of six texts for each condition (1-6). So it seems that I should set up a randomizer with each of the four conditions, then create a randomizer under each condition with the 6 texts. But I don't see a way to do this without participants seeing questions repeated. Is there a way to set this up so that participants will not see any texts repeated for the four conditions?
This should result in flows like this:
BA-5
AA-2
BB-3
AB-4
But avoid flows like this:
BA-5
AA-2
BB-5
AB-5

icon

Best answer by LaurenK 14 July 2020, 17:01

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi jjamison! It looks like you were able to reach out to the Support team about this and they provided you with the steps needed to accomplish this. If you have any additional questions, be sure to follow up on the support email thread. Otherwise, if anyone else is looking to accomplish this, you need to go to your Survey Flow and put blocks into groups, and then use a Randomizer on these groups that will randomly present 4 out these 6 groups to your respondents.
Then you will need to add an Embedded Data Element that we can call "Group" in each of this group, that will allow you later on to identify which groups each respondent has seen.

Not exactly. What I want to do is show them Condition A,B,C,D and each time show them a DIFFERENT text from 1,2,3,4,5,6. So When I show them condition a, they have a randomizer to see text 1-6, and they get shown text 3 (for example). So when they get shown condition B, there is a randomizer for texts 1,2,4,5,6. And When they see condition C, they are randomly presented with texts 2,4,5,6.
I'm attaching a screenshot of the survey below. The screenshot shows two conditions (EngSr, and EngJr) with the 6 scenarios (texts). Each condition should show one of the six scenarios, but they shouldn't see any repeated scenarios when they go through the conditions.
Clipboard02.jpg

I´m having a very similar problem: I have a fully crossed 2x2 within subjects design in which participants will receive 4 stimuli that are accompanied by two different features (i.e. experimental factors).
Let´s say participants receive 4 statements and these statements are either a) approved or b) rejected by a c) male or d) female.
Each participant should receive: 1 male x approval image, 1 male x disapproval image, 1 female x approval image and 1x female x disapproval image.
Gender x approval combinations should therefore randomly vary across the 4 images but each participant should receive all four possible combinations. This means, qualtrics needs to remember which combination has been shown and subsequently reduce the pool of options to present to participants. Notably, also the order of the images 1-4 should be randomized.

Thanks in advance!

Badge

Hi all, has anyone here already solved the problem? I'm dealing with a very similar problem right now and I'm stuck, so I'd appreciate some feedback.
Thanks in advance!

Leave a Reply