How to auto populate the email address in the survey question? | XM Community
Question

How to auto populate the email address in the survey question?

• 7 July 2020
  • 4 replies

I am building a survey in Qualtrics to be distributed via Email (Eloqua) using survey anonymous link. I am looking to collect the email addresses of the respondents thru my survey. So for my question - 'Please provide your email address', I want the email addresses of the users taking the survey to auto-populate in the answer field. How can that be achieved in Qualtrics survey?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

I'm not totally familiar with Eloqua, but to me it seems like it should be able to pipe in/merge fields from the contact list into the body of the email. You could

1) Make the anonymous link a Query String that contains the email associated with that record upon sending (this is where Eloqua would need to be able to merge the email address into the text of the email)
2) At the very start your Survey Flow, you will need to create an Embedded Data variable that matches the name you gave in the Query String to set the value of the variable in the survey to the email address in the link (just leave it as 'value will be set from panel or url')
3) You can pipe the embedded data value into the field where you want to collect email using piped text for the embedded variable name.

I would caution you to be very careful in your email that you don't promise this is anonymous. Although you are using the anonymous link, you are now connected part of their identity (email address) to their link individualizing it.

Thanks you bstrahin for your response. I have further query:
I will not be uploading any contact list to Qualtrics. I am simply building the survey in Qualtrics, generating the survey anonymous link and then sending out that link using Eloqua.
So, I am asking the email address question in the survey and want it to get auto-populate as the user attempts to enter his / her email address.
Is it something achievable via javascript or Qualtrics cookie?
Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

noopur_1791 as I mentioned I am not familiar with Eloqua. But the process I laid out above will achieve what you want but is contingent upon Eloqua being able to insert the recipient's email address into the body of the email (see step 1).

Without access to Eloqua I cannot test this theory for you. But this webpage makes it seem doable, see the section for "Add field merges to URL" https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/saas/marketing/eloqua-user/Help/EmailEditing/Tasks/AddingFieldMergesToEmails.htm

Userlevel 4
Badge +22

Hi bstrahin
Thank you for the suggestion! This actually worked for me !! :)

Leave a Reply