Reports Line Chart | XM Community
Question

Reports Line Chart

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello,

I have a question concerning a visualization within the report part.

I would like to visualize a multiple answer question via a line chart broken down by months. The different answer options of the question are the lines and the months are plotted on the x-axis. The values should be percentages per month. My objective is to show the historical evolution of this question.
To show absolute values is not a problem. Unfortunately, the percentages are wrong and not at a monthly base.

Does anyone have experience with this? 

Thank you very much in advance.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

What values are you trying to display here? We have the Percentage of choices or percentage of responses options available.
For eg, Suppose we have a Multi select Question with 5 options. There are total 25 responses across 5 months with 5 responses for each month.
Percentage of choices: This is calculated as follows: (count(optionA for month1)/count(all options for month1))*100.
Suppose option A is selected twice for month1. The sum of count of all options(A,B,C,D,E) for month1 is 18. Then the formula will be (2/18)*100 = 11.11%.

Percentage of responses: This is calculated as follows: (count(optionA for month A)/count(option A for all months))*100.
For eg, Suppose option A is selected twice for month1. The sum of count of optionA for all months is 19. Then the formula will be (2/19)*100 = 10.53%.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Mishraji,

Thanks a lot for your answer. But I am not sure if I understand it correctly.
Let’s use a new example:

- I have a multi select question with 5 options (A, B, C, D, E).
- the number of participants per month are:
Jan: participants=130
Feb: participants=120
Mar: participants=110
Apr: participants=100
Total participants/responses=460
- some participants only select one option, some participants select more two or three options within this question. For example, for January we have the following raw counts (number of mentions):  
A: 10
B: 20
C: 30
😨 40
E: 50
In Total 150 mentions/counts from 130 participants

Now I want to have percentages per month on the number of participants per months, so that the sum of all options is more than 100%:
A: 8%
B: 15%
C: 23%
😨 30%
E: 38%
In Total 114% based on 130 participants in January

This is definitely a problem of the chart type (line chart broken down by month), because when I use a bar chart in total (not broken down) and I select the option “percentage of responses” it is shown correctly.

Is it feasible to show this?

Best,
Maria

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

Ohh yes, this is not happening in line chart in reports. However it is possible on the dashboard using the metric option 'Metric value / Column total' .

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Unfortunately I don't have the dashboard tool. That's a pity, especially since it should be a basic method of calculation also for the report tool.
Thank you.
Kind regards, Maria

Leave a Reply