How to import/display event-related information in survey | XM Community
Question

How to import/display event-related information in survey

• 16 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

We have hundreds of events per year. We want to use a single post-event survey for all these events. Any given survey respondent could be asked to fill out multiple surveys in a short period of time, so we really want to display the event name on the survey itself.
What is the most efficient way to do this?
I figured out how to embed a unique event ID number in the survey via a URL query string, so responses can be analyzed based on different event ID. Is there some way I can store the event name associated with each event ID, then display that event name to a user taking the survey? I see how I can do it semi-manually using embedded data and piped text, but I don't want to manually define the relationship between hundreds of event IDs and event names.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can maintain a contact list for this i.e. in external data reference keep the Event ID and you can create an Embedded data column in contact list as Event name.
Now once we get the Event ID from the URL, add an authenticator after getting this event id, pre fill it and authenticate it. Once authenticated you can get the Event name simply by declaring same column name as embedded data name under authenticator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

If the events are stored in a system somewhere you may be able to get event information (e.g., event name) directly from the system using a web service call. Depending on the system, there may already be an API for that purpose. Alternatively, if the events are stored in a database, you could write your own web service to do a lookup by event id and retrieve event name or other event information.

Leave a Reply