How do you get Qualtrics to read a descriptive text question as having data? | XM Community
Question

How do you get Qualtrics to read a descriptive text question as having data?

Hi folks,
We wanted drop down menus in a survey to look a certain way, so instead of using the Dropdown question type, I used the descriptive text question type and inserted HTML code for the dropdowns. But, in the Data Analysis tab, the Qualtrics isn't pulling data from these questions because they are officially designated as text/graphic or descriptive text. Is there a way to make Qualtrics pull data from these questions?

Thanks,
Divya

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Qualtrics doesn't save data it doesn't know about. The only way to use a descriptive text question and save data from it would be to use JavaScript to save the data to embedded data fields.

Okay, if I were to go this route, and needed more guidance, where would I find it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Info on the Qualtrics JavaScript API.
There are lots of JavaScript examples in the Custom Code section of the Community.
Instead of using a Descriptive Text question, I would use some other question type to capture the data and hide input portion of the question (QuestionBody).

Leave a Reply