Send email based on selection from drop down answer | XM Community
Solved

Send email based on selection from drop down answer

• 27 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Hello,
I am creating a survey where I would like one of the questions to be a drop down list containing names of faculty members. I would like to have the survey send an email to the faculty member that was selected from the list. I have a contact list setup containing the faculty members first and last names, along with their email address.
This is my first experience creating a survey with qualtrics, and I have very little knowledge of scripting and other programming, but have become familiar with using the piped text and triggers.
If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get this accomplished I would be extremely grateful.
Please let me know if I can provide any more info to help get this done.
Thanks,
Brian

icon

Best answer by Brian_C 30 July 2020, 18:32

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Brian_C ,
How many faculty members are in the drop down list? My first thought is to set up a separate Action for each faculty member, though that becomes less feasible the more faculty members there are.

Hi MatthewM ,
There are only about 40. I thought about using a separate action for each one, but thought it would be easier to manage if I was able to use the contact list. I think i'll just start building the actions and see how that goes.
Thanks,
Brian

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Brian,
I have a similar need. Have you found a solution yet? Is there any way to add script to the question that would help kick off that action? I'm not a coder but I know scripting can be added to a question.
Thanks,
Amanda

Amanda,
I ended up using actions for the 40 faculty members emails. Only problem is that the survey is kinda slow to load, but it works for what we're needing to do.
Thanks,
Brian

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Thank you, Brian. Good news! Would you mind sharing a screenshot of how you set it up?
Amanda

What I did was pretty straightforward. When the respondent selects the faculty member they want, the action is set to send an email to that specific faculty member. Then in the email that is sent I added some piped text to send some extra info to the faculty member based on the respondent's answers. I repeated the process for each faculty member, so I have 40+ actions for one survey. I don't think its ideal, and there's probably a better way to do it without so many actions, but this is working for what I need.
The embedded field is for another piece of the survey and doesn't have any affect on sending the email.
Hope that helps, I'm not a programmer by any means, and there's probably a better way to do this, but its working and that's all that matters for now.
Brian
Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

That was wonderful, Brian. I did some testing and got it to work perfectly. Now to create an action for all 90+ answer possibilities.
Thank you and have a great day,
Amanda

That's great, hopefully it doesn't slow down the loading of the survey too much having so many different actions in there.
Thanks,
Brian

Brian_C
Thank you for sharing that. I'm quite new in this topic. Maybe you can help me :)
I have similar case but in questionnaire I have list of companies (dropdown list). If company A is chosen email notification goes to 3 people, if company B to other 3 people. We have over 100 companies and I'd not like to set up it manually. Also list of companies changes every month. How I can set up not to do it manually?
I'd appreciate any comment. Thanks in advance.

Leave a Reply