Carry Forward Order and Randomized Subsets | XM Community
Solved

Carry Forward Order and Randomized Subsets

• 29 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,
I am developing a survey with two questions that are related.
Question 1 is a matrix table with four randomized statements ("apple and orange", "banana and pear", "melon and kiwi", "grape and cherry"). The options are Yes and No.
Question 2 is a matrix table with eight randomized statements ("apple", "orange", "banana", "pear", "melon", "kiwi", "grape", "cherry").
There are three main problems to be solved:
1) The order in Question 2 should match the order in Question 1. For example, if "banana and pear" and "melon and kiwi" were chosen in Question 1, the order in Questions 2 should be "banana", "pear", "melon", and "kiwi".
2) The order of the pairs should be randomized. For example, in question 2, respondents should see "banana" and "pear" OR "pear" and "banana". However, this must still follow the logic in Problem 1. Therefore, in the example from problem 1, "pear", "banana", "melon", and "kiwi" would also be an acceptable order for Question 2.
3) Selected statements should carry over from Question 1. I know this would be easy with "Carry Forward Statements" but this does not seem possible when "apple and orange" (Q1) becomes "apple" and "orange" (Q2).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by MaiaH 26 August 2020, 18:26

View original

2 replies

Badge +1

jben It seems like this setup will require a complex setup that our Support team would be equipped to handle! If you haven't already, please feel free to contact Support to work through this setup :)
It sounds like though that this could potentially be accomplished using branch logic and embedded data to keep track of which pairs/items participants are assigned to in order to ensure that the correct order is maintained as well!

Thank you MaiaH ! I actually ended up using a combination of javascript and assigning the choices to groups (and randomizing the choices within those groups).

Leave a Reply