Exporting multiple choice question with multiple answers to SPSS | XM Community
Solved

Exporting multiple choice question with multiple answers to SPSS

• 29 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,
I'm working on the analysis of my data and I'm having a problem with the multiple choice questions that can get multiple answers.
This particular question consists of 22 different types of activities, which belong to 4 different categories (direct, indirect, consumptive and indoor). Now, I would like to see for each respondent, how many activities they have selected for each category --> e.g. 5 direct, 3 indirect, 2 consumptive, 0 indoor.
When exporting my data to SPSS, each choice exports as its own column header, rather than having it in one column. Is there a way to change this?
I have already tried to recode my values for this question by assigning a number to each activity based on their category to make the analysis easier, but this way it doesn't register the amount of times category 1, 2, 3 or 4 is chosen.
Does anyone have a solution to this?

icon

Best answer by bstrahin 29 July 2020, 18:02

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

IsabelleS I don't see a way to change the export for SPSS directly in the export options. You can do it in multiple steps by downloading as CSV and making sure that Split multi-value fields into columns is not checked. You will then have to import your CSV file to SPSS.

Assuming you leave these 22 variables as their own columns and the code as 1 for selected in each column (e.g., not 1 through 22) you can use SPSS to sum certain variables.
IF Columns 1 and 2 are the ones that are direct then in SPSS you can go to:
1) Transform
2) Computer Variable

• Target Variable fill in "CountDirect"

• In numeric expression you click on the variables for "Column 1" then put a plus sign and click on the variable for "Column 2"

This will result in a value of 0-2. And show the count of direct variables selected by your participant. You just need to repeat and expand that formula for your four sets of activities.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately the steps you described didn't give me the results I was after, but did put me on the right track. I instead ended up using the "count values within cases" option under the transform tab, and then it worked perfectly!

Leave a Reply