How to identify the responses from couples who share the same email account? | XM Community
Question

How to identify the responses from couples who share the same email account?

• 8 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

In my survey, I have 450 couples. In the Excel, the household head is denoted as "Bundle administrator", while the other one is denoted as "Bundle member". Only the former has an email account, since they share the same email account.
I plan to send the surveys for these 900 people.
I want to differentiate between the two members (the couple). How to do that?
Many thanks in advance!

Note that I cannot let individual leave/update the email in the survey. The team leader said, "on this survey, I think ANY hint that we might know who they are beyond the link of the survey to their email will jeopardize our confidentiality promise. If even one question can be linked to them, the fear may be we can look at all their information. We promise not to do that."

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check this solution. Any question, why this solution will not work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

rondev will this allow yaozhao to use the Email Distribution function in Qualtrics to send two emails to the same email address? I am unclear if that is possible in the link that you reference.
If it doesn't meet that need then yaozhaoI think a work around for this is yaozhao

• Split your contact list into two lists (1) Contacts without a duplicated email and (2) Contacts with duplicative emails - both people should be in this list

• Use the Qualtrics Email Distributor to send to list (1)

• Upload (2) as a separate contact list and use the feature to generate Personal Links. Use mail merge to send these personal links via Outlook. You can download the personal link history to get a list of who needs a reminder email. It is more manual than using the distributor, but it allows two emails to go out to the same email address. You can keep their contact information tied to this group. And by keeping both people in this distribution their emails look the same rather than questionable if you were to randomly assign on part of your couple to group 1 (seeing it come from Qualtrics) and the second one to another group which is distributed via Outlook (seeing it come from you)

Userlevel 3
Badge

@bstrahin
Thank you. I think your suggestion is more doable in my case. But I don't understand your last sentence.
"And by keeping both people in this distribution their emails look the same rather than questionable if you were to randomly assign on part of your couple to group 1 (seeing it come from Qualtrics) and the second one to another group which is distributed via Outlook (seeing it come from you)"
What do you mean?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

yaozhao it just means to make sure couples both get an email from mail merge. If one was in the Qualtrics group and the other was in the Qualtrics group then their emails would look different (formatting, from name/address, small details). But if they compare the invitations and see they aren't identical then they may call into question the email and be hesitant to click on the link. From their perspective if it's the same survey then everything should look the same.
I recommend in the mail merge invitation to tell them... you may notice a "duplicate" email from us, it isn't a duplicate it is meant for the person you share this email address with. Both of your opinions are important to us and we ask that you both fill out the survey individually. You will notice your names in the emails, please use the email with your name as it will save you time in filling in information requested in the survey.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I feel confused. "If one was in the Qualtrics group and the other was in the Qualtrics group then their emails would look different (formatting, from name/address, small details)." How come? The couple share the same email. How could be looking different?
If I understand your idea correctly, both people should in the list 2. ("Contacts with duplicative emails - both people should be in this list")

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Sorry, that was a typo should be "if one was in the Qualtrics group and the other was in the mail merge group then their emails would look different..."
You are right that the couples should both be in group 2 that are sent through mail merge.

Leave a Reply