Merging two files based on a common question | XM Community

Merging two files based on a common question

• 11 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello everyone!

I need some help for merging two files based on a common question. I appreciate it very much if anyone can help me.

Let's say I have files, file A and B. File A is the main file with these questions: seat number, gender, age, ethnicity, rating 1, rating 2, rating 3, confusion, suggestions. File B has these questions: seat number, confusion, suggestions. When I collect the data for the file A, the data for confusion and suggestions are not ready. Later on, I collect the data for the file B. Now I need to merge the data of confusion and suggestions to file B based on the seat numbers. I tried different ways in Qualtrics, like "Legacy Importer", but it did not work, instead of merging them, Qualtrics added those records from file B to file A. 
Somebody helps!
Thank you very much! 😊

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Huiling you may be better off merging Files A and B outside of Qualtrics and then Importing the merged file as responses in File A where it seems like you want all of your data.
If you have access to Microsoft Excel, you can use the vlookup function to pull the values of confusion and suggestion in File B into File A.

I then recommend making a copy of the survey used to collect File A. And using the Qualtrics Importer to put your merged data into Qualtrics.

Badge

Thank you for the great idea. Hopefully Qualtrics will add this function in the future.

Leave a Reply