Race and Gender Questions | XM Community

Race and Gender Questions

• 13 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
  • QPN Level 2 ●●
  • 42 replies

We are adding Race and Gender questions to our surveys. How are folks asking these questions to their clients now? I checked out the ones already available in the Qualtrics library, but the gender one seems pretty restrictive. Please let me know what all of you are using!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

For gender we keep it pretty simple
"How do you identify?
Male, Female, Nonbinary, Other, Prefer not to answer"
And for race I have switched over to the new categories from US Census Bureau
"Are you of Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin or descent? Y/N"
"Please check all of the races you identify with.
Disclosure - we acknowledge that describing your race is complicated for many people. We are following the race question from the 2020 US Census. We are hopeful that this will be more inclusive than how we have asked about race in the past and sincerely apologize if you still feel misrepresented by this question.
White - for example, German, Irish, Lebanese, Egyptian, etc.
Black or African American - for example, African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Somali, etc.
American Indian or Alaska Native - for example, Navajo Nation, Blackfeet Tribe, Mayan, Aztec, Native Village of Barrow Inupiat Traditional Government, Nome Eskimo Community, etc.
Chinese
Filipino
Vietnamese
Korean
Japanese
Native Hawaiian
Somoan
Chamorro
Asian Indian
Other Asian - for example, Pakistani, Cambodian, Hmong, etc.
Other Pacific Islander - for example, Tongan, Fijian, Marshallese, etc.
Some other race (please describe:)"

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I communicated with Ben Granger from Qualtrics yesterday and they are in the process of updating the gender question. We are getting ready to add those two questions to our survey, so I went right to him for help. I am currently waiting for a reply from the team that is revising that question and also more information on the race question.

Leave a Reply