How to ask "Fill in the blanks in a paragraph" type questions | XM Community
Question

How to ask "Fill in the blanks in a paragraph" type questions

• 16 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi there. I am using Qualtrics to give language exams at a university and I would like to write "fill in the blanks in a paragraph" type questions. Because Qualtrics does not have the fill in the blank question type, I prepared one as an html form like the one below.
image.pngAnd I prepared 8 text entry type questions and hid them through display logic. My question is: Is there a way to link each of these blanks with one of the hidden questions, thus when a student fill in those blanks, the answers are entered to hidden questions automatically and I can collect student answers in Data&Analysis tab? Or is there a way to store what is written in the blanks as embedded data? Thanks in advance.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

No, you can't save a value to a question hidden with display logic. Yes, you can save data to an embedded data field using the JavaScript Qualtrics function Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData().
There is an example of what you are trying to do here (it is a combination of type in and drop down answers).

Hi All,
TomG , should I start with text entry question? How can I change the HTML of the text frame? It only allows me to add the JS. How can I access the HTML panel to custom the code?
Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You could use a text entry form. To edit HTML click on the question text, then the HTML view tab.

Leave a Reply