Bypass respondent's answers using retake link | XM Community
Question

Bypass respondent's answers using retake link

Hello,
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have not found a way to get this to work yet. In my survey I have two parts, the first part goes to a student using an anonymous link. The student fills in their portion then completes the survey. When the student completes the survey I have an action setup to email the faculty member with the retake link. I have amended the retake link with the following at the end:
"?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1&Approver=1"
I was able to get this link to forward the faculty member directly to their portion of the survey ONCE and it hasn't worked since. I have a branch for the second block (the faculty portion of the survey) and have it set to display according to the embedded data field (screenshot)
survey branch.PNGAny help on this would be great, since this is very frustrating knowing that I had this working once, but not since.
Thanks,
Brian

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

Please check this :
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/retake-survey-link#BuildingARetakeLink
image.png

Appzk
Thank you for your response, I just added the display logic to the questions and it still takes me to the beginning of the survey. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, but we would like the retake link to skip the section that the student has filled out, and go directly to the faculty portion of the survey. As I mentioned, I was able to get this to work once, but haven't been able to get it to work since.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Do you have the same branch logic at the beginning of the survey? If not, try the opposite - If Approver Is NOT Equal to 1.
Paul

phbern
I added the branch logic to the first part of my survey with Approver NOT equal to 1, and was still presented with the first part of the survey with the answers already selected. I'm beginning to think that when I saw this work, it was just a fluke.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hmm. Is Approver set as embedded data at the beginning - before the first branch? I'm thinking that if it is only set by that URL, then it will not be equal to 1 since it doesn't exist. Basically, you need two branches, with values for Approver for each.

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

Apply the branch logic to the student block as
Q_R doesnt contain deliver and Q_R doesnt contain Q_R
Basically opposite condition of faculty block

Survey.JPGhere is my flow. I have the approver set at the very beginning, the current date is being used for other display logic for certain answers. block 1 is the student portion of the survey and block 2 and 6 are the faculty portion. block 2 and 6 are what I want displayed when the faculty clicks the retake link in the email they receive.

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

In your scenario, every time faculty clicks the link and as a top down approach of survey flow it sets Approver as blank and as default student block is executed.
Please apply the Q_R conditions as in my previous answer to your faculty block and place the faculty block first and then student block .
Student ll never enter faculty block
And
Faculty when enters the block will hit end of survey.
This should work.

Appzk
I added the Q_URL again and is still not working. At this point I'm going to have to have the faculty scroll through the previous answers to get to their portion. I think I will make a second project and try to get this working, maybe its something with the project itself?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Brian_C have you tried piping in the Approver value to your student block (this can help you verify if Qualtrics is reading it in).
You might also check the URL in your web browser to make sure that none of your appended variables are being left off when the faculty clicks on the retake link.
Instead of having Approver IS NOT EQUAL TO 1, did you try the logic Approver IS EMPTY (for students) and IS NOT EMPTY (for faculty).
If all of those things aren't working it may just be some sort of corruption in your project and worth making a copy to see if it works in the copied project.

Turns out you have to publish your changes in order to get things to work the way you want them to!
Problem i'm having now is that the final completed report is not showing the responses from the student section of the survey, only the faculty section is being displayed in the emailed report, thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Brian_C what does this look like in the Data Analysis tab? Is the student data being preserved? How are you getting Qualtrics to email the report?

bstrahin
I have an action setup to send the completed report to my email address, just using the check box there.
In Data Analysis, the first "student" questions are greyed out and it says "This question was not displayed to the respondent"
It seems that using the retake link is not saving the student responses, and only displaying the faculty responses as the completed report.

Leave a Reply