Modify Choices in a Question based on Previous Question's Answer | XM Community
Solved

Modify Choices in a Question based on Previous Question's Answer

• 6 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a question that has a bunch of choices that get filtered based on the response of a previous question.
Right now, all I see is that I can use Display Logic to make a conditional statement so it leads to another question altogether, which may get messy if I want to export the data.

Example:

Q1 asks: What group are you in? Choices are: Group X, Group Y, and Group Z
Q2 asks: Who is your partner? Choices are: Andy, Alex, Roger, Tim, Sally

If I select Group X in Q1, I only want to see Andy and Alex, Group Y, I only want to see Roger, Group Z, I only want to see Tim and Sally.

Thanks!

K.V.
icon

Best answer by Rich_Boits_Walker 7 July 2018, 04:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Hi @kvignesh
You can use display logic on answer choices as well from within the survey editor. You access this functionality by clicking on the answer choice itself. This highlight the choice and adds a drop-down indicator to the right of it. This will give you a menu that contains an option for display logic for the specific choice.

!

Here is the link to the specific section on Setting Answer Choice Display Logic in the support documentation:
https://qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/question-options/display-logic#SettingAnswerChoiceDisplayLogic
Thank you! Though I'm sad having display logic on choices forces the first question to be on a separate page, this still works. 🙂 I appreciate the help!
Badge +9
I've been searching for DAYS to do something similar - I'm almost embarrassed to see how simple the solution is! But Thank you, @Rich_Boits_Walker for sharing!!

Leave a Reply