Getting a Rank Order question to only allow respondent to rank only 3 of the 6 | XM Community
Solved

Getting a Rank Order question to only allow respondent to rank only 3 of the 6

• 8 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
  • QPN Level 2 ●●
  • 42 replies

My question has 6 options, but we want the survey taker to only select three. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
image.png

icon

Best answer by Appzk 8 September 2020, 16:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

Look at the stetup below:
image.png

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thank you, but the respondent is still able to select 4-6. We want them to rank their top three only, in the order of importance to them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

Is you question this way:
image.png

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Yes, the problem we are having is that if a person selects 4 or more, it is difficult to remove the extra selections.

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

To override this problem,change the rank order type to "Text Box" or "Select Box". This will help in undoing the selectin.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,
What you probably want, is the survey to show only 3 columns ... so it's not even possible to select a fourth. I had the following JavaScript and that seemed to work fine, except when I used a large number of items (20+) en a large number of questions with this setup (but different items, obviously).
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page loads*/
for(var i = 3; i < 100; i++){
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" tr.Answers th:eq("+i+")").hide();
   jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .ChoiceStructure tbody tr").find('td:eq('+i+')').hide();
}

So I'm not sure if it works without problems, but will probably help you on your way. Without custom coding, it's not possible to get a proper 'select your top 3' question type.

Leave a Reply