PSA: Some text entry data is exporting incorrectly | XM Community

PSA: Some text entry data is exporting incorrectly

• 9 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I have a text entry question where I have numeric content validation set up. A participant entered 16,640 in for this question. When exporting the data table to CSV Qualtrics exports this entry as 16.64. Exporting in Legacy seems to fix the issue.

I noticed this today and reported it to Qualtrics. I don't know how long it will take to get fixed. I don't know if this is affecting other export formats, but I would advise using Legacy exports whenever possible, and double checking your data if you have any numeric text entry questions.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Just heard back from Qualtrics. They are now saying this is intended functionality. This seems absolutely idiotic to me. I can't think of any practical reason for them to do this, especially when there is already an export option for converting commas to decimals. Here is their full response.

"This is actually expected behavior if the user actually inputs a number and manually types in a comma. For number fields, the following logic will apply in relation to commas and decimals.

If a decimal point is present: drop all commas
If a single comma is present without a decimal point: replace with a decimal
If there are multiple commas (ex: 1,000,000) : convert the last comma to a decimal and then drop all commas

This means that the user has a couple of options:
1. Tell respondents not to add commas.
2. Tell respondents to write out full cost, to the cents. ie 4,230.00 Then it won't matter if commas are added or not."

Leave a Reply