Hover over for COMPLETE newb - I have no idea how to actually do the HTML stuff | XM Community
Solved

Hover over for COMPLETE newb - I have no idea how to actually do the HTML stuff

• 16 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi,
I am developing a survey (uni project) where I have a term that is really very specific and instead of having the definition in your face every single time - like cut and paste to the bottom of every question in the survey (its really ugly), I would REALLY like to do a hover over, like I have seen people achieve here in the community.
The problem is that the code to use in HTML is lost on me, I have no idea how to actually apply it, so how do I type it in, am I supposed to delete the question part? or paste my question in the middle of the code?... how do I make it so you hover over a word and my definition can be seen?
Is it as simple as just cut and pasting the code at the start of the term and it should work?
Terribly sorry folks, we didn't do this level of computing back in the day when I was in school and returning as a mature age student, keeping up with this tech and doing my own field of study is proving a little challenging this time!
Thank you so much,
V.

icon

Best answer by bstrahin 16 September 2020, 20:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Veg_nessa
In your question editor change from normal view to HTML view by clicking a toggle button at the far right of the question box.
1) Type your question without the definition
2) Go to HTML View (tab option at the top right of the question edit box)
3) Around the word where you want the definition added type
WORD
*You don't actually type word, this is the word you want to provide a definition for
4) In that same view, fill in your definition between the quotation marks in the text you just put in
Here is what it looks like in Normal view
image.pngAnd HTML view
image.pngAnd the results
image.png
5) Go to Rich Content Editor
7) Highlight the word you defined and add some custom formatting (I like to make it a different color and will usually put instructions like - hover over the orange text to see a definition of the word)

So my final output once I've added coloring will look like:
image.png

Thank you!! Took a couple of goes (I think I am WAY overtired) but I finally got it!
You're a star! Thank you for taking the time to simplify that!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Veg_nessa happy to hear you got it to work for you!

Badge

Hi,
Thanks so much for this great explanation. Does anyone know, e.g. bstrahin , how to make this work for mobile phone, i.e. making it mobile friendly?
Would greatly appreciate your help!
Best,
J

Badge +3

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/37709#Comment_37709Did you figure anything out in regards to this, that worked for you on mobile?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This same approach will work on mobile, however, the user will need to tap it, as there's no way to detect hovering over something in touch input based devices.

Leave a Reply