HTML code not working on survey copy - themes overwritting? | XM Community
Question

HTML code not working on survey copy - themes overwritting?

• 23 September 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi all,
Many years ago my university had someone write some custom html to achieve a particular layout for a slider type question, and it has worked since about 2012. I have been able to make copies of the survey and adjust as necessary in the past, ie., for new batches of data, or major changes to item layout, and the scale with custom html has continued to work. Scale working in the preview window as intended here:
Q ex 1.PNGRecently however, I have had a need to use a tweaked version of the survey for a different purpose. I copied the survey, adjusted to our needs, and the scales are now being changed to a standard view of a slider, without the delimiting lines we need, and with a different colour scheme and slider indicator. These are essentially useless without the delimiting lines. Scale showing ok in the survey builder, but showing differently in the preview (as it does in the live survey):
Q ex 2.PNGPulling my hair out as to why??? I'm convinced this has something to do with Qualtrics now placing a 'theme' over any new survey. For the surveys in which this item type works, the theme is completely blank. However, making a copy of the survey now has a different (blank) theme, with no way I can see to completely remove the theme. (I've gone back to the old look and feel menu to try and achieve this, no dice). I've spent half an hour on the phone with Qualtrics rep to try and assist with removing a theme, but as soon as HTML came up, they directed me here.
Old survey look and feel settings, seen through 'look and feel' - 'Back to old editor' at bottom of screen:
LF ex 1.PNGNew survey look and feel settings:
LF ex 2.PNG
Any legends out there think they can suggest possible reasons?

I will note, I am not experienced in any way with html, and apart from being able to generally decipher where the displayed text sits and the font / size info, the rest is gibberish to me. Here is the html that produces the scale in the attached images.

Diagnosis and Clinical Assessment: Knowledge and Knowledge Application

Demonstrates knowledge of psychopathology and appropriate use of diagnostic frameworks and clinical measures.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi, happy to help here but I think there is something I am missing.
The HTML you share towards the end does not seem to have any styling that would make the tickmarks appear. The TickContainer class doesnt seem to be a default class a slider question and the display property being set to none would only make something disappear, not appear.
Are you sure you did not use to use a custom theme that would style the entire slider question altogether (i.e. slider questions were not styled on a case-by-case basis but rather all of them had those ticks)?

Leave a Reply