Dynamically randomized question text | XM Community
Solved

Dynamically randomized question text

• 23 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi

I have this requirement to as a question one way (the question text) to half the sample and in another way to the second half.

for example "What is your name" to one group and "What is your full name" to another group.
I can do this using embedded data I guess, but the survey is in two languages.

any idea how to implement this?
I don't want to create two different questions and merge the result later

icon

Best answer by DashboardNinja 23 September 2020, 20:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +15

DEMO_Question_Wording_Rotation.docxHi Isam,
I was able to do this by:
-Setting an embedded data variable to assign a random number to each respondent, 1 to 10
-Creating two branches in the survey flow after the random number
-Setting the first branch to include records where Random=1-5, and including a new embedded data field called QuestionText. I set QuestionText=What is your name? for this group.
-Setting the second brand to include records where Random=6-10, and including the embedded data field called QuestionText. Is set QuestionText=What is your full name? for this group.

Then in the survey question wording, instead of typing the question, I just inserted Piped Text from the QuestionText embedded data field.

The survey exported to Word is attached.
Hope this helps!
-Pam

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Create a MC question at the beginning of the survey with the question text you want to pipe as the choices, hide it with display logic, and translate it.
In the survey flow just before your "name" question block, add a randomizer with two embedded data blocks that set the value of the question text to one of the choices from the hidden MC question. Something like:
Randomizer 1 of 2 evenly presented
Embedded Data: qtName = ${q://QID1/ChoiceDescription/1}
Embedded Data: qtName = ${q://QID1/ChoiceDescription/2}
The question text, ${e://Field/qtName}, will be translated into the current language (As long as the respondent doesn't change the language once they get to the "name" question page. If that is important, you need to do the randomization with JavaScript)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi TomG and Pam
very clever solution from both of you
very much appreciated

Leave a Reply