Am I able to combine 50 unique ID's (embedded data) into one field? | XM Community
Question

Am I able to combine 50 unique ID's (embedded data) into one field?

• 23 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +20

My survey is using a contact list that is setup with the Manager First and Last Name, Email, Direct Report 1 - 50 (DR1, DR2, DR3 etc.) that has their direct report name in different columns. When the manager authenticates into the survey with their Email I have a matrix question that shows their DR1-50 along the left (statements) and two text entry fields (scale points).
When creating the dashboard I would like to create one field that is called Direct Reports instead of DR1, DR2, DR3 etc. to create a dropdown of the direct report names for filtering. In the dashboard settings, I have the DR1-50 as text sets so I thought about recoding but am not getting the results I was hoping.
Thoughts?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Hi!! yes you can create a new field in data and analysis and use it to add different fields and select a separator

Userlevel 4
Badge +20

Thanks ana_velez_voce! If I do it in Data and Analysis, I will be manually updating 600 responses. Right? Is there a way to do this without updating them all one by one? I supposed I could use bucketing in the data and analysis to call the fields MgrDR's (SmithDR's, PittDR's, RobertsDR's etc.) but I am still touching each response and that could be problematic down the road. 🤔

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Hi! i understand, however you will be creating a new field, so the original field would remain the same as in the original response.

Userlevel 4
Badge +20

I am not following ana_velez_voce. If I create a new field and add a separator then all of the names will show as one with a comma or whatever separator I select. I gave your suggestion a try (the way I understand it), below is a screenshot.
Ideally, each DL will have their own view in the dashboard that allows them to filter by Direct Report at the top. Right now I have 50 filters per DL for each Direct Report.
After typing that, I think I understand where your suggestion to combine came from. I don't want to actually combine the embedded data but combine the names of the embedded data from 50 unique into 1 unique.
Qualtrics New Field with Separator.jpg

Leave a Reply