Piped text issue from one display logic question to another | XM Community
Question

Piped text issue from one display logic question to another

• 24 September 2020
  • 4 replies

I have a problem with piped text. In Q5 I ask for a selection of one of four options. Q9 (QID55) uses display logic based upon the selection of one option in Q5. Q41 uses piped text from Q1 and Q9 based on the same display logic.
Q41: In a conversation with my ${q://QID55/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices} friends, I sometimes speak ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices} and sometimes speak English.
The result is "In a conversation with my  friends, I sometimes speak French and sometimes speak English."
If I remove display logic from Q9 (QID55), I get "In a conversation with my French friends, I sometimes speak French and sometimes speak English."
I tried deleting Q9 and rebuilding it from scratch - still same result. Is it possible that this is because of the system-assigned "QID55"? I can't seem to change that assignment, but the question (Q9) appears well before Q41 which needs to display the info.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

It is not because of the system assigned QID. A couple of things:

1. If you delete a question then create a new question in its place, I think it will get a new QID. So, you'll have to update your pipes.

2. Since the pipe was empty when there was display logic on Q9 and not empty when there wasn't, it would appear that the display logic prevented Q9 from being shown and was the reason the Q9 pipe was empty in Q41.

Thanks Tom

1. I updated the pipes after creating the new question.

2. This makes sense, but Q41 and Q9 use the same display logic ( the same option selection from Q5). Q1, on the other hand does not use display logic and pipes text correctly to Q41.

Would it help to break them into different blocks? My entire survey is one block and paginates from Q5 (I presume because of the display logic).

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Pages in the same block are sufficient. Q9 would have to be on a different page than Q5 for display logic to work (unless you use in-page logic).
You would only need blocks for survey flow logic, question randomization or loop & merge.
Not sure what the issue is. Is Q9 forced response to make sure there is a selected answer? Is there any skip logic that could skip over Q9?

There's no skip logic. Q9 wasn't forced response. I've enabled that now, but no change in the missing piped text field.
I do have translation option active - with 100% translated. Could that be affecting it?

Leave a Reply