Choice experiment via Qualtrics? | XM Community
Solved

Choice experiment via Qualtrics?

Hi all,
I need help with my research. I had been looking around how to make a choice card with Qualtrics but unable to find a solution. I don't know whether it is possible to do that or not. The only option I found is the conjoint analysis which is technically different with Choice experiment. Here is example of my choice card:

So, bacisally every attribute has the specific code and respondent need to choose only one option.

Please help me!!!

Nur 😃
icon

Best answer by mattyb513 10 July 2018, 13:38

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
If you are wanting to do this in Qualtrics you would probably have to code each different choice card separately, unless their conjoint will work for you. It is self-explicated though so it probably won't.

If you have to use qualtrics, your best option is probably to make the questions as images, like the one you posted, then put A,B,C etc. for the choices and match them to letters in the choices of the question.

There are other options using more code, but if you don't understand it enough to build it yourself or pay someone else to build it out, it will likely be more headache than it's worth. Qualtrics' Custom Question team could be a good path in this case.

Working Example: https://qualtricssfi.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_56zuhR8sCv6Ljoh?Q_SurveyVersionID=current&Q_CHL=preview
@mattyb513 thank you so your response. I was originally planning to do it as an image like your suggestion. But I have been thinking that I need to recode everything after I get the results which will consume a lot of time. Just asking for an option if there are which I don't know. I have email qualtrics for some information 😃
Badge
Hi,

This is probably a bit late for the initiators of this discussion, but hopefully this might be helpful to others facing similar issues.
I have written a short article in which I describe how to create a discrete choice experiment of the form that is discussed above. The paper is entitled "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics" and it is published in the Social Science Computer Review.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Sylvain
> @Sylvain_Weber said:
> Hi,
>
> This is probably a bit late for the initiators of this discussion, but hopefully this might be helpful to others facing similar issues.
> I have written a short article in which I describe how to create a discrete choice experiment of the form that is discussed above. The paper is entitled "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics" and it is published in the Social Science Computer Review.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

I am going to do stated preference choice experiments in Qualtrics. Could you please tell me whether your DCE solution can also work on choice designs prepared for a multinominal logit model?

Kind regards,
Shan
> @Shan said:
> > @Sylvain_Weber said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is probably a bit late for the initiators of this discussion, but hopefully this might be helpful to others facing similar issues.
> > I have written a short article in which I describe how to create a discrete choice experiment of the form that is discussed above. The paper is entitled "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics" and it is published in the Social Science Computer Review.
> >
> > I hope this helps!
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Sylvain
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> I am going to do stated preference choice experiments in Qualtrics. Could you please tell me whether your DCE solution can also work on choice designs prepared for a multinominal logit model?
>
> Kind regards,
> Shan

Hi Sylvain,
Could you please explain more on how you move from the stata to do file to txt file. Am confused on how you move from stata to advanced txt.
Hi Lydiah,
I followed the steps given by Sylvian Weber in his amazing work "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics", and suceeded in importing choices cards in Qualtrics. You can find in his supplementary materilas in this paper, which will guide you import choice experiments in Qualtrics. If you still have difficulties in this problem, feel free to contact me.

Best,
Shan
> @Lydiah said:
> > @Shan said:
> > > @Sylvain_Weber said:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is probably a bit late for the initiators of this discussion, but hopefully this might be helpful to others facing similar issues.
> > > I have written a short article in which I describe how to create a discrete choice experiment of the form that is discussed above. The paper is entitled "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics" and it is published in the Social Science Computer Review.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps!
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Sylvain
> >
> > Hi Sylvain,
> >
> > I am going to do stated preference choice experiments in Qualtrics. Could you please tell me whether your DCE solution can also work on choice designs prepared for a multinominal logit model?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Shan
>
> Hi Sylvain,
> Could you please explain more on how you move from the stata to do file to txt file. Am confused on how you move from stata to advanced txt.

Hi Lydiah,
I followed the steps given by Sylvian Weber in his amazing work "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics", and suceeded in importing choices cards in Qualtrics. You can find in his supplementary materilas in this paper, which will guide you import choice experiments in Qualtrics. If you still have difficulties in this problem, feel free to contact me.
Best,
Shan
Badge
Dear all,

Thanks for your questions and comments regarding my "step-by-step procedure". Sorry for my silence, which was related to technical issues (believe it or not, I could not log in to Qualtrics Community for the past 3 months...).
Well, in the meantime, I believe everything has been answered, either by other users, or in bilateral discussions by email. If this is not the case, feel free to ask again.

Best,

Sylvain

Dear all,
I am facing the same problem with transferring my data from qualtrics to stata into the long format. I followed your paper Sylvain_Weber but would appreciate if you can explain how this is done as I am confused.
Many thanks,

Emma

Badge

Hi Emma,
This is a bit difficult to understand what's happening since you don't provide any details about your problem.
Have you tried to use the Stata code that is provided with my paper in the Social Science Computer Review (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/suppl/10.1177/0894439319885317)? The dofile ShapeQualtricsData.do contains the code that will allow you to put the data extracted from Qualtrics in good shape.
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,
Thanks for your guide. I have two questions.

1. I ran your code as is, but toward the end I get an error "value label farelab not found". Also, when I also type "label list" to check if everything's been labeled, I only get planelab and timelab. I check the data sheet and not all levels are converted to string (the codes remain as 0,1,2,3 for foodlab for example). I don't normally use STATA so I'm learning along the way with your step-by-stem guide which has been insightful.

2. And just to be clear, once I run the HTML code to produce the advanced text file in STATA, I add the command texdoc do right?

Thank you.
Carlie

Badge

Hi Carlie, 

1. I double-checked the dofile ExpDesign_to_Qualtrics.do available from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/suppl/10.1177/0894439319885317 and everything runs perfectly. You’ve probably missed some lines when running the code, which may well happen if you run the code piecewise rather than in a single shot by typing “texdoc do ExpDesign_to_Qualtrics”. Can you please download the supplemental material once more (to ensure it is not modified) and retry?

2. Yes, you need to type “texdoc do ExpDesign_to_Qualtrics”.

Best regards, 
Sylvain

hi Sylvain_Weber Thanks for your great article! Have you used Qualtrics for labelled experiments before? I read your paper but it didn't give instructions about that? thanks for your help.

Leave a Reply