timing question combined with forced answer | XM Community
Question

timing question combined with forced answer

• 28 September 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

I have some timed questions set up for a problem solving task in qualtrics. We want the questions to be time-limited, but it is also important to get some sort of answer. Right now, I have the timer auto-advancing after 2 minutes as well as the "force answer" option selected, so when the time is up, the page reloads and participants are prompted to answer.
Here are my questions:
In the data, will I get timing information for each page load (e.g. if someone spends the full 2 minutes and then another 40 sec after the "force answer" prompt loads, will I see both of those times?)
As I understand it, each time the page loads, the timer restarts. So theoretically, a participant could spend an unlimited amount of time on each question. Is there a way to put a cap on the number of times the page will reload? After a certain point, can we just auto-advance them even if they don't submit an answer?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You could add a "no answer" option to the question and hide it with JavaScript. Then automatically answer "no answer" when the timer is up. I posted about this a long time ago. If you search you can probably find it.
If the page reloads you will only see the timing information for the last time.

Leave a Reply