Collaboration - Best Practices | XM Community

Collaboration - Best Practices

• 11 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Does anybody have some hints/best practices about collaborating surveys with dynamic groups of people (such as a new crop of research assistants every year)? I have been using user groups for this but spend a lot of time changing user groups for different projects. Also, is it still the case (and this makes sense from a data integrity perspective) that you can share survey templates with groups but you can not create a new survey in a group?

7 replies

At my work, depending on the number of employees that need qualtrics access - some employees like analysts for example all share the same login, whereas Research Managers have their own person login. This has allowed us to share access depending on the project/who needs access which I think would apply to your research assistants situation as well.

As for the sharing survey templates, I'm not quite sure what you mean. So I can't be too much help there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @AngelaC said:
> At my work, depending on the number of employees that need qualtrics access - some employees like analysts for example all share the same login, whereas Research Managers have their own person login. This has allowed us to share access depending on the project/who needs access which I think would apply to your research assistants situation as well.
>
> As for the sharing survey templates, I'm not quite sure what you mean. So I can't be too much help there.

What concerns does this raise with your team internally? It's typically accepted that sharing logins is bad for security. How have you balanced that with the need to share accounts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
It sounds to me like your groups may be too narrow.

A group should be a pretty steady unit. EG: an Organization, "University" college is an organization. While the groups should be "CLAS", "School of Medicine", "School of Business". This way you can add surveys all CLAS people can see to the group (An informed consent piece for easy import, whatever). The School of business can create a shared Directory for panel creation... whatever.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "template". You can share a project with a group. But individuals need to be sent strict access.
@AnthonyR Good point! In terms of the security risks, in our case it is minimal as we all work on projects together, and those with the shared login have less access/privileges within Qualtrics.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
@Kate I agree with you. It is good to have groups for entire schools/divisions/etc.

That said, research universities/teams often need smaller groups, such as one principal investigator on a team of RA's/collaborators on a given lab/research project.

What I meant by "templates" is if I had a certain survey (that I use again and again- perhaps I share it in a group library) - as in Kate's example of a consent form (which might vary between a Nursing School and Business School for example).

I would then, as Kate said, share the library with all the members of the group.

!

Or I might want to share a specific survey with a few members only of my research team.

However, am I correct that surveys must always be copied into specific accounts to be run - one can't administer a survey out of a library? One account must "own" the survey and the survey would be distributed from that one account - not from a shared group library.

I wish this description had a bit more detail and I wish their were a better write up for user groups aimed at users/as well as administrators:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/sp-administration/managing-users/user-groups/
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
I am also looking for clarification of the best way to handle group accounts. We have several departments that collaborate on projects. A common situation that occurs involves the ownership of these surveys when staff/faculty transfer positions, hand over the project to a new lead or leave the university.

If I understand correctly, groups allow users to collaborate on projects they individually create (using their personal Qualtrics account). The ownership of these projects remain with the user who created them, correct? How does this play out with surveys that groups want several users to access for editing and viewing? Will users simply add the group as a collaborator, but the ownership doesn't change?

Can anyone tell me if my understanding is correct or even provide an example of the use of group accounts? I would like to be able to advise departments properly so that surveys which require collaboration are set up consistently and soundly.

I agree with @BC_rani that it would be helpful to have this explained in more detail on the user group page. The information is great for instructions on setting up new groups, but an explanation of how it all works together would be beneficial.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I've submitted a Product Idea ticket for something similar. I tried to keep it pretty generic to extend to more than just my use case.
https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/19227/ability-to-select-and-share-projects-to-group-or-org-ownership-many-users-at-once

Leave a Reply