How to carry forward a numerical answer with all previous numbers (eg choose number10, have 1 to 10) | XM Community
Question

How to carry forward a numerical answer with all previous numbers (eg choose number10, have 1 to 10)

• 6 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi, I'm new to Qualtrics and trying to understand its features. As part of a survey, I am asking How many extracurriculars did you participate in (time frame)?. So far I am using a drop down list with numbers up to 20, because I couldn't figure how to carry forward text answers. I am also interested in the type of the extracurriculars (i.e. sports, academic, artistic, etc.). I want to carry forward the answer to the first question (.e.g 10) and have 1 to 10 come up with drop down lists of type of extracurricular in the next question. How can I do this?
I welcome suggestions about different question types that could work better also.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Assuming your follow-up is a Matrix with drop-downs, you could use display logic on each of the statements (rows) based on the number entered or selected in the first question.
However, it seems like you are making it hard on both the respondents and yourself. You should consider using a multi-select multiple choice question that asks which extracurriculars they participated in. That way they don't have to do the mental math to count up extracurriculars in advance, they just have to click on them. For you, it is easier to setup and you don't risk them selecting duplicates.

Thank you Tom! These are good suggestions.

Leave a Reply