How do you make it so the survey taker can add/remove fields to text questions? | XM Community
Question

How do you make it so the survey taker can add/remove fields to text questions?

• 13 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Specifically, this is for a form that our faculty have to fill out every year- this is the first we're doing on Qualtrics. I want to make it so whoever is taking the survey can add or remove fields to multiple questions. For example, one question would be something like "List all of your publications from this year. Please include: Date of publication, Journal/Website where it was published and citation."
Ideally, these would be three separate fields in a single row. The user would then be able to add or remove rows, depending on how many answers they have. In the pool of people that will be taking the survey, the number of answers would definitely not be the same. The issue we had with our previous form was making sure that there were enough fields so everything could be filled out accurately, while making it easy to read/understand.
I have been playing around with Loop & Merge, but unfortunately that's not doing what I need it to. If you know of any other way to have this work, or if it's even possible, please let me know! Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You can do this with JavaScript.

1. Create a text form with the maximum number of fields you may need. There has to be a max because Qualtrics will only record fields it knows about so you can't dynamically add new fields.

2. Use JavaScript to hide all but the first row. Use a JavaScript event handler to show additional rows as needed. There are a number of ways you can fire the event handler: add a '+' button, show the next row when something is entered it the current row, etc.

Badge

Thanks so much! I really appreciate you getting back so quickly!

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

TomG Was the script added somewhere? Is it available somewhere?
I have a faculty member needing this exact option in a survey.
Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Chanda_IUK See here.

Leave a Reply