Can I get Qualtrics to Randomly generate a number (within a defined range) for a participant | XM Community
Solved

Can I get Qualtrics to Randomly generate a number (within a defined range) for a participant

• 16 October 2020
  • 1 reply

Due to COVID, I need to conduct an experiment using Qualtrics. The experiment is on budgeting. So, I want to participant to submit a budget, then I would like Qualtrics to randomly generate profit numbers (from a defined range)- which represents the actuals.
For example, Question 1 asks the respondent to submit a profit budget for 2021- (respondent answers-- let's assume they say "$120")
Question 2- I would like Qualtrics to generate a number within a range of profit possibilities (e.g., $100-$200) - and display it on the screen. Let's say Qualtrics selects "$140"
Question 3- would compare the entry from the respondent in Q1 ($120) versus Q2 ($140) and show: Profit beat budget by $20 ($140 actuals- $120 budget).
Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by npetrov937 18 October 2020, 22:22

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Qualtrics has an option to create random numbers and save them in embedded data - https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/assigning-randomized-ids-to-respondents/
I think you should also be able to use piped text in order to set the minimum and the maximum with dynamic values (based on PP's responses).
Otherwise, this is fairly straightforward to achieve with Javascript too.
Good luck!

Leave a Reply