Labels and scale points in the mobile survey (smartphone version) | XM Community
Solved

Labels and scale points in the mobile survey (smartphone version)

• 23 October 2020
  • 11 replies

Hi experts!

I have this challenge, where I would like to view both Labels and scale points in the mobile survey (smartphone version) of a matrix question.
Attached is a screenshot with drawings of what I would like to have.
Thanks...
layut_adjustment.JPG

icon

Best answer by TomG 24 October 2020, 19:06

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

hi TadasN
You can insert the labels in scale points itself then it will show as you are looking for but both mobile and desktop version will be same.
image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

A slicker solution is to leave your labels in place AND add the labels to the scale points inside a span with a class. For example:
1 - Strongly disagree
Add this css:
.mfLabel { display:none; }
.mobile .mfLabel { display:inline; }
It will look like this:
image.png

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/31400#Comment_31400This is perfect Tom! Thank you so much.
I already use the 'reverse scale order' CSS, shown below.
How do I combine the two CSS codes into one? I just end up with CSS errors.

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
if(jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .QuestionBody.mobile").length > 0) {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" tr.ChoiceRow").each(function() {
var label = jQuery(this).find("th");
jQuery(this).find("td").each(function(index) {
var choice = jQuery(this);
if(index > 0) {
label.after(choice);
if(choice.hasClass("last")) choice.removeClass("last");
}
else choice.addClass("last");
});
});
}
});

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/31415#Comment_31415The thing you posted is JavaScript, not CSS. I think the two are compatible - you can use them both together.

Now I understand - and thanks, it worked like a charm. You are the boss!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hey TomG ,
it works, thanks for that! But it looks a little bit weird when they have chosen one answer (see picture). Any possibility to fix it or do I have to live with it?

TadasN : Did it look the same in your case?
Output.PNG

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

TomG: I have change span class to div class. This seems to work. Do I need to be aware of any problems when I change it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/47789#Comment_47789The only difference between a

and
is that a div is a block element and a span isn't. This can be overridden with display:inline and display:block, respectively.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi there, I am trying to implement this on my survey but it’s not working. I considered starting a new thread, but since it’s pretty much exactly the same issue I thought I’d reply here.

I must be making a mistake somewhere but can’t see it. Here is my scale point, with an added span class for the label: 

And here is my custom CSS:

But looking at the mobile preview, I only see the scale point numbers and not the text:

Can anyone spot my error? Thank you so much for any insight!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

It looks like you are using Simple layout, which has a different html structure.  Try replacing .mobile with .matrix-accordion.

BTW, tr.ChoiceRow formatting doesn’t apply to Simple layout either.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@TomG Thank you so much, this worked! I was really losing my mind trying to figure out the issue! The row formatting was a leftover from when I was using another layout, so I will remove that. Thanks again!

Leave a Reply