I need to customize the labels of a ranking of given options | XM Community
Question

I need to customize the labels of a ranking of given options

• 27 October 2020
  • 1 reply

Right now I am struggling a bit with the design of my experiment. 
I need to customize the "labels" of a ranking of options. When I rank the options for example, I include the names of 5 "specific" places (e.g. Oceania, South America, East Asia, Western Europe and Eastern Europe), but I am not interested in the specific destination, but more in the "position" it has in the ranking. Said this, all the questionnaires would be exactly the same, but instead of using generic labels like destination1, destination2, destination3, destination4, destination5, it would be better to change the label of the destination based on the previous ranking.
Please find an example of the questions:
"...
 Please rank the following vacation destinations from more to less attractive:

1. Western Europe

2. South America

3. Oceania

4. Eastern Asia

5. Eastern Europe

The following questions would be a mix of given ranking destinations
Q1: Choose a vacation scenario
□    𝑉𝑎𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝐴
• Your relative travels to destination 2 (south america)
• His friends travel to destination 1 (western europe)

□    𝑉𝑎𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝐵
• Your relative travels to destination 4 (eastern asia)
• A friend travels to destination 5 (eastern europe)

Q2: Choose a vacation scenario
□    𝑉𝑎𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝐴
• Your relative travels to destination 4
• His friends travel to destination 3

□    𝑉𝑎𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝐵
• Your relative travels to destination 1 
• A friend travels to destination 2
..."

And so on and on,

Thanks!

1 reply

Badge +3

Not sure if you have considered creating embedded data variables in the survey flow where you write logical conditions for each rank and set embedded data variable with your dynamic label.
You can repurpose the same variables as you flow down in the survey flow by updating the label based on previous label text. In case you're doing a multi-language project - i would suggest you to create a variable that contains all the possible text in the metadata and pipe-in text in the embedded data variable using the similar logical conditions stated above.

Leave a Reply