How to implement block timer + question randomization? | XM Community
Question

How to implement block timer + question randomization?

• 9 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello,
I would like to create a block in my Qualtrics survey that
(1) is timed (the whole block should be timed at 90 seconds. After that time, respondents should be autoadvanced to the next block.
(2) questions within the block are shown in a random order.
The context is that respondents are given 90 seconds to "solve" as many matrices as they can. A matrix is a table with 0s and 1s and respondents have to count the number of 1s and enter the number in a "text entry" type of question. The idea is that a respondent is only shown the next matrix once they have entered a number for the current one, and so on for 90 seconds until they are auto advanced to the next block. I figured out how to do it without the questions being randomized: by including a timer question at the top of the block and using display logic. Nevertheless, it is important for my design that the order of the matrices is randomized.
Is there a way to do this without using javascript? If so, how could I do it? If it can only be done through user developed code, is there anyone that could help me to do it?

Thank you,

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Not my code but this looks like it should work, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47317718/how-to-use-automatically-move-respondents-in-qualtrics-with-global-timer-for-blo

And just put a randomizer in the survey flow for the blocks.

Leave a Reply