Is there no way to make a likert scale question for just one statement? | XM Community
Question

Is there no way to make a likert scale question for just one statement?

• 1 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I can't figure out any easy way to have a likert scale question-type. The Matrix question type can do it, but it doesn't make sense if you only have one "statement". And then there's the Net Promoter Score TM, but it doesn't allow me to adjust the number of points on the scale. I want a five point scale. Am I missing something obvious? It seems crazy that a single-item likert type question isn't a default option. Thanks!

4 replies

Have you tried taking a regular single-select multiple choice question and just making the answer choices horizontal?

Thank you. I guess that's good enough. It means I have to label each scale point though. I suppose I could label the middle points "2" "3" "4". Given that Likert scales is a really common question type, it seems to me that Qualtrics should provide a pre-formatted option for it.
I'd also love to see a slider format where both poles are labeled, rather than just one pole.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

There are two other approaches to this.
The better, but much more difficult one is JS to make a matrix look like a NPS question.
The easier one is to use an NPS question and change the scale with JS. You'll just have to overlook the NPS categories in the data. The JS is here:
https://gist.github.com/marketinview/c941fc59b7ddaef8ba3b

Badge

Hi TomG,
I'm new to Qualtrics and I don't know JavaScript at all. I used your code, and the Likert scale that you created looks great! I am am, however, confused when I create a report. I want to see a report that will tell me, how many people responded "1", how many people responded "2", etc. If you could help me understand how to achieve this, I'd be grateful.
Thanks very much!
Jimmy

Leave a Reply