Display values based on previous decisions | XM Community
Solved

Display values based on previous decisions

• 6 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi,
I would like to create an experiment in Qualtrics where participants can buy goods in several consecutive periods. A total of three goods (Good x, Good y, Good z) are available and the prices of the goods evolve between periods. Participants can own either one or none of each good. The study subjects therefore decide in the respective period whether to buy a good (if they do not own that good before) or to sell a good (if they bought it in one of the previous periods).
If the participant has owned a good before the period, the purchase price should be shown in the following period. For example, if the participant bought Good x for 100 and Good y for 102 in t=1, in t=2 it should be displayed the following:
t=2

• Good x, purchase price 100

• Good y, purchase price 102.

(Purchase price of Good z is not shown because the participant did not buy it).
If the participant sells Good x in t=2 and buys it again in t=3, the following should be displayed in t=3 and t=4:
t=3
  • Good y, purchase price 102

• (The price of other goods is not displayed because the participant has sold good x again and has not yet purchased good z)

t=4
  • Good x, purchase price 105

• Good y, purchase price 102

Of course, I could always set a new branch based on the buying and selling of the previous periods, but this is very confusing and I would have to set thousands of paths. Thus, my problem is that the information (i.e. the purchase price, if good was owned before the period) I want the participant to see is based on all previous decisions and I can't find an efficient way to always display the last purchase price.
I hope my explanations are understandable so far. Now my question: Is it possible, through piped text, scoring, embedded data, or whatever, to have the participant see the last purchase price at which the good was purchased if he still owns it without constructing a new path for each possible decision?
I've been sitting on this question for a while now and would really appreciate some help.
Thank you very much!

icon

Best answer by LaurenK 27 January 2021, 19:57

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Wassermann - I connected with our Support team about this one, and it may require that they take a closer look into your account (with your permission) to view your specific setup, and to better understand what you are trying to accomplish. You can reach out to our wonderful Support team here, and they will be more than happy to assist!

Leave a Reply