How to prevent randomizer from showing specific blocks? | XM Community
Solved

How to prevent randomizer from showing specific blocks?

• 26 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi, I need help with programming a survey on couples. For example, I'd like to show Asian men with women of various ethnicities, Black men with women of various ethnicities, European men with women of different ethnicities, and so forth. I want to randomize whether the Asian men, Black men, or European men are shown first, as well randomly assign the 9 different women they are shown with. Each participant will only view each man once.

The problem I am running into is with the display logic for blocks. I want to use the same set of photos of women for the partners of the men, and set the logic such that if say, participants see the Asian man with the Asian woman, they cannot see the Black man with the Asian woman. (They should not be able see the same woman again). Also, if participants see the Black man with the Asian woman, they cannot see the Asian man with the Asian woman.

Any suggestions about how to efficiently program this would be really helpful. Thank you for reading!
icon

Best answer by TomG 26 July 2018, 15:38

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can control masking by applying display logic on each women option like for Africa" not selected in asia group and not selected in Europe group" similarly for each option in each block.
Hi bansalpeeyush29, thank you for your response! Is it possible to do this if the "options" are displayed photos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Yes jut add display logic for each option.
Thank you, I will poke around see if I can get that to work. When I tried display logic earlier with randomization, I found that the randomizer would actually just skip the assignment altogether (it would not show ANY block sometimes). Perhaps I did it incorrectly though.

In the meantime, this is what I currently got to actually work, but it is highly inefficient especially since I need to add many more conditions (note that European men have not yet been included here, it is just so tedious to build the branches!):

!
!
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@kwu25,

@bansalpeeyush29 thought you were referring to question choices.

To conditionally display a block within a survey flow randomizer, put the block inside a branch. It will only randomly display if they branch condition is true.
Thank you very much, @TomG ! I believe that is what I have done in the screenshots I posted? Let me know if it was something else you were thinking. Qualtrics support got back to me too and told me to use their Groups element.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @kwu25 said:
> Thank you very much, @TomG ! I believe that is what I have done in the screenshots I posted? Let me know if it was something else you were thinking. Qualtrics support got back to me too and told me to use their Groups element.

Groups is just a way to group things in the survey flow. It is really the same as a branch that is always true. If you don't want to use survey flow branches, blocks, and randomizers your alternative is to do it in code. You could write a web service script or JavaScript to do the randomization and apply the rules then return embedded variables for the 9 pairs.
Thank you very much @TomG. I will look into doing it in javascript if it gets too tedious (as it might, once I add all the conditions).

If anyone with the same issue is curious about Groups, this is how I built it out successfully in Groups (it seems to be more efficient than Branches with the current number of conditions that I included).

!

Leave a Reply