How to add a drop down list next to a free text entry? | XM Community
Solved

How to add a drop down list next to a free text entry?

• 23 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello,
I would appreciate anyone's help with this. I want to add a drop down list next to a free text entry answer. To give more context, I want the responders to type in a numerical value in either "mmol/l" or "mg/dl" (of their choosing in the drop down list. Responders will use different units depending on their geographical location). Would this be possible on the survey? Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 23 January 2021, 21:08

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There are two ways in which you can approach this. One is to create a dropdown question and add a text box via JS. You'll need to store the value in the text box as an embedded variable. This will be the code for it:
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function(){
this.getQuestionContainer().querySelector("select").parentElement.insertAdjacentHTML("afterbegin", '');
document.querySelector("#NextButton").onclick = function () {
input_value = document.getElementById("input_value").value;
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("input_value", input_value);
}
});

Alternatively, you could create a multiple choice single answer question with your units as choices and then use JS to switch the positions. This will be the code for it:
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function(){
x = this.getQuestionContainer().querySelectorAll(".LabelWrapper");
x.forEach(item => {
    try{
item.insertAdjacentElement("afterbegin",item.children[1]);
item.children[0].style.width = "60px";
item.parentElement.children[1].hide();
item.children[0].insertAdjacentHTML("afterend","   ");
}
catch(err){
item.parentElement.children[1].remove();
item.parentElement.children[1].remove();
}
});

});

that = this;
this.getQuestionContainer().querySelectorAll(".TextEntryBox").forEach(item => {
item.oninput = function () {clear_others(item.id)}
});

function clear_others(el){
curr_sel = el.split('~')[2];
that.getQuestionContainer().querySelectorAll(".TextEntryBox").forEach(item => {
if(item.id.split("~")[2] != curr_sel){
item.value = "";
}

});

}
});

The demo for both of them is here. The later option, even though it uses more JS, will provide results, in my opinion, that are more easy to deal with.

Thank you so much for your time and response. It's exactly as I have described it! However, for some reason when I type in the value into the free text box, the number disappears in the summary page and is only left with the dropdown selection. Can this be something that can be fixed?
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 12.27.27 AM.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It won't come in the summary page, because we are adding the text box later. That's why we need to store it as an embedded variable.
Create your own block and use the code. The value will be present as an embedded variable in the results. Just make sure you create an embedded data variable in the survey flow called input_value

Ah I understand now. Thank you very much!

Hi, I´ve tried to replicate the code and everything you said here but I can´t make work the second option that it´s the one I need, text box and dropdown next to it.
I selected Multiple Choice -> Allow one answer. I´ve inserted the options (6 in total) and then I pasted the second part of the code onto the Javascript of the question but when I previewed the question nothing is displayed only the question name.

error2Q.PNGerror1Q.PNGCould you help to find my error and make it work please?

Badge

Hi,
I have tried to use your first line of code (so add textboxes to a dropdown question), but I want to do that for more options. With this code, I can only seem to add a text box after 1 dropdown menu. I have 5. How do I solve this?
dropdown_textbox.png
Thanks!

Badge

ahmedA - is it possible to modify the dropdown text box option you suggested to only allow number entry? I used the following solution which appears to work on desktop but not mobile:
this.getQuestionContainer().querySelector("select").parentElement.insertAdjacentHTML("afterbegin", '');
document.querySelector("#NextButton").onclick = function () {
input_value = document.getElementById("input_value").value;
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("input_value", input_value);
}

Thank you for your help!

Leave a Reply