What is the maximum number of questions I can put in a survey with good performance? | XM Community

What is the maximum number of questions I can put in a survey with good performance?

• 1 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hey community folks,
I need to create a survey with 1000+ questions (with logic skips so an individual person won't see this much!), before I dive in, I just want to know if this large size of content will slow down my Qualtrics editor performance? Or when my audience is answering their survey, will it be slow on their side?
Thank you

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23

Honestly, surveyors will be fatigued by the 10th question if not before. The most we have asked in one sitting with success is 12 questions. It might be best to break up the survey into several follow-ups. As for the slowness; I don't see that being an issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Regarding the Qualtrics editor performance, make sure to break up your questions into blocks. Even if it doesn't make any difference on the respondent side, it will make it easier to work with in the editor.
Also note that, once you have added a certain number of items in a block (I don't know the exact number), Qualtrics adds a "Large block mode" option at the top of block, which you can toggle on or off. When on, it displays the question text but removes the graphic elements (condensing the choices into parentheses). But in my experience the interface starts to get pretty clumsy even before you reach this threshold of number of items in a block.
image.png

Leave a Reply