How to duplicate a project using the Qualtrics API | XM Community
Solved

How to duplicate a project using the Qualtrics API

• 4 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Greetings Friends. I would like to create a duplicate of an existing project using only the Qualtrics REST API. I'm hoping this can be done with only a handfull of API calls but haven't found a solution yet. I know I can create and populate a project element by element (questions, blocks, etc.). Not sure if it's possible but I'm looking for API endpoints that might:

1. Create a new project by copying another similar to how the UI does.

2. Perhaps two API calls; one to create a blank project and another to import the structure from an existing project.

Maintaining question ids is important as there is a lot of JS and Web Service calls that reference specific ids.
UPDATE 1
pogi has me pointed in the right direction. When I first looked at the Create Survey endpoint (POST: /survey-definitions) I skipped the section of the Body definition referencing Survey QSF thinking it required a file upload (.qsf). I now think this can actually be json. The QSF definition can found at the API Reference under QUALTRICS SURVEY API then Schemas.
UPDATE 2
I did a quick test by exporting an existing survey through the UI which downloaded a .qsf file. The format of this file is json. I pasted that into Postman and tested the Create Survey endpoint with the contents of the .qsf as the body. It created a new survey with the exact structure of the original. Thanks pogi!

icon

Best answer by pogi 5 February 2021, 03:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Have you tried using the restAPI to import surveys?

API Reference | Qualtrics API Docs

I looked at that endpoint. It either uses a file (.qsf) upload or a url to a .qsf for Qualtrics to download. I was hoping for something that would accept JSON but this might be the next best thing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, the .qsf would be the export of the source survey.
The other option, which I don't have any experience with would be using this enpoint: API Reference | Qualtrics API Docs
and you can see the json survey qsf schema here: API Reference | Qualtrics API Docs

Leave a Reply