Are computed and recoded fields truly "embedded"? it seems there are two definitions for "embedded" | XM Community
Solved

Are computed and recoded fields truly "embedded"? it seems there are two definitions for "embedded"

• 6 August 2018
  • 3 replies

I have been pulling my hair out working on a class exercise for students new to survey work. I seem to have confused "embedded" with "embedded" == are there two definitions? I showed students how to recode some fields to enhance the analysis, but the fields are not available for analysis -- they are listed as "embedded" in some of the menus, but not as "embedded" in the analysis menus. I see now that "embedded" seems to mean a field that is included in the survey flow, where a value is generated or passed during the response period. Extremely frustrating after hours of work.

So this is my question. Are there two definitions of "embedded"?

Maybe someone from the interface team should make another menu option called "not really embedded so not available for analysis in Qualtrics". That would have saved me an immense amount of time.
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 6 August 2018, 21:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Can you show us a screen shot?

Recoded values are just that- re-coded so that when you download them you get the new coded value, not the value they are presented as. As such, these don't embed, they are just a new way of looking at the same answer/variable.

However, if you are having problem seeing them in your worksheets, know that it may be how you download your data. To see all available embedded data, ensure you are using the legacy exporter. I've often wondered where my embedded data is on my spreadsheets only to find I downloaded the wrong version.
hello @csmit141 ,

Recode values for option are different from embedded data.

Recode values are for ease of analysis using different numeric or text other than shown in option for eg if a user selects 'yes' option it will be stored as '1' in data.

Embedded Data is any extra information you would like recorded in addition to the question responses. It can be used to store information such as the social media site a respondent has come from, the condition a respondent was assigned to in a research study, previously gathered information from a contact list so that data will be available for analysis.
Thanks Kate. I have been trying to use the Quatrics analysis interface as if it was something like Stata or R. I see now that there are constraints on what the system "sees" and it isn't possible to load or recode or compute new values for analysis in the Qualtrics analysis interface without meeting some very strict conditions (that are not particularly clear in the docs). I am probably trying to push the envelope. I have no trouble using the data I export - the problems arise when I want to do some things that the system is not designed to do.

Leave a Reply