Route In/Out/In/Return | XM Community
Question

Route In/Out/In/Return

• 10 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi,
We have a content testing platform that we need to integrate with Qualtrics.
The typical flow of an event is:
Attendee is checked in
We route them to Decipher with some variable on the URL string
Decipher uses those variables to make a RESTful API call back to our platform
Decipher parses the JSON response and populates the associated questions in the Pre-Stimuli portion of the survey
Decipher then prompts the respondent with the remaining Pre-Stimuli questions
Decipher "suspends the survey" and routes the respondent back to our platform with some of the originally sent in variables and a token that represents the place within the survey the associated respondent is in.
The respondent participates in the event / watches the content / provides their feedback
After the stimuli, we redirect them back to Decipher with that token we were sent and a couple of additional variables.
The respondent finishes the post-stimuli questionnaire
Decipher then [using the Return Links] redirects them back to our platform along with some of the variables we sent in when they returned to Decipher for the 2nd time.
=======================================================================
That is how it works in Decipher. I need to figure out how I can accomplish the same thing without changing the way that our platform works.
Does anyone know how I'd simply achieve the following:
Platform X generates a URL like this and redirects the respondent to Qualtrics:
https://survey.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9p1ylT5ZBpboBka?encryptedsessionid=adfsadsf&id=12341234&jwt=asfdasdfadsfadsf&prerequestid=asfdasdfasdf
Qualtrics generates a link like this and redirects back to Platform X:
http://www.platformX.com/adfsadsf/asfdasdfasdf?id=12341234&state=R_1K6G8HqpGYMRT5E
Then, when Platform X returns the respondent after the stimuli is shown, we need for them to pick up where they left off.
https://survey.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9p1ylT5ZBpboBka?state=R_1K6G8HqpGYMRT5E

NOTE: I have achieved the first part of reading the values into Embedded Data.
Then, on the last question of the Pre-Stimuli I am using Display Text and the JavaScript

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page loads*/

var encryptedsessionid = "${e://Field/encryptedsessionid}"
var id = "${e://Field/id}"
var jwt = "${e://Field/jwt}"
var prerequestid = "${e://Field/prerequestid}"
var state = "${e://Field/ResponseID}"

window.location.href = 'http://www.example.com/session/' + encryptedsessionid + '/' + prerequestid + '?id=' + id + '&state=' + state
});

One of the issues is that, when they return is, they return to that same page and are immediately redirected again. I need for them to be returning to the next page / not the same page they left off on.
Any help solving this would be great!
Jason

2 replies

Hi Qualtrics Community,
NOTE: I think that I have figured out why when returning the respondent was getting placed back at the beginning of the survey, instead of where they left off.
When I return them the 2nd time, I am adding additional data to the URL string.
It seems that for Qualtrics to place the respondent back at the page they left off, they need to have the EXACT same URL.
This does put me in a pinch as I need to send in additional data.
Does anyone have a work around for this?
Also, does anyone have a solution that would allow for me to include a value on the URL string that would get the person back into the same survey even if they opened in another browser?
Thanks!
Jason

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So, if I am able to understand you correctly, your flow is this:
Qualtrics --> Plat X --> Qualtrics. And you are facing issues in the second stage, because Qualtrics is executing your JS and redirecting them to Plat X.
If yes, then you could just append something to the url from Plat X like fromX=yes and only execute your code if your url doesn't have that. Alternatively, you could also look at setting the value of embedded data via the url, and only executing the code when is of a certain value.
However, I would recommend against the redirecting approach and instead would suggest opening up Plat X in a different tab, since Qualtrics relies on cookies and is quite notorious for loosing them. Just search the community and you'll see lots of people having issues in resuming the survey.

Leave a Reply