Is there a way to use QR code distribution type to track identifying information? Plz advise. | XM Community
Solved

Is there a way to use QR code distribution type to track identifying information? Plz advise.

• 13 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
I am trying to use QR code for attendance tracking. Is there a way to do it even though it clearly states "This distribution type cannot track identifying information" - thanks.
icon

Best answer by NiC 13 August 2018, 21:52

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Hey @pdwived1 ,

although it also states,

!
Hello @pdwived1 ,

Step 1: You can use embedded data in the url. Follow this page

Step 2: Take your URLs(with embedded data) over to a site like https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ to generate QR codes and then distribute new QR code

Note: Like you can use email embedded data to identify the respondent
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Shashi said:
> Hello @pdwived1 ,
>
> Step 1: You can use embedded data in the url. Follow this page
>
> Step 2: Take your URLs(with embedded data) over to a site like https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ to generate QR codes and then distribute new QR code
>
> Note: Like you can use email embedded data to identify the respondent
>
>

As @Shashi said you can do this but with increasing number of survey takers this will get tough as you will individually have to create QR code for each respondent , The only way plausible here if there are many number of respondents is to ask some identifying info like (roll no , email ,etc)
and use the Authenciator to get the appropriate contact and register there attendance .
Badge
Thank you all! I truly appreciate your responses. Very helpful! I am not too familiar with all the distribution choices. I have mainly used anonymous to collect research data and that has worked for me. That said I have been asked to explore ways to collect attendance data with the use of QR codes so that our trainees (~250+) actually have to be physically at the CME venue. Texting the authentication code has not worked for us. We are finding that trainees are getting smarter and have found ways to be at the training w/o actually being there. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Hi @pdwived1
QR code are nice way to encode data into a machine readable format.
However if you have to create attendance system which directly authenticates from use of QR code is not advisable as you would have to create 250+ QR codes and display them all in some form.
Possible Solution >
* Create a survey which asks for EmployeeID and first 4 digits of the DOB (eg: 24 January will become 2401 ) or some other private information(which they wont want to share with others) and share the link for this survey via QR Code at class and keep the link open for some time .(change or at least Rotate the QR codes between days). This will make it harder for the trainees to mark themselves present without actually being present.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can use QR code for Attendance tracking, You just ask StudentID in survey. So once student scan the QR code and fill the studentID will mark as complete (Present).

Leave a Reply