Participants are not equally assigned to random different conditions | XM Community
Question

Participants are not equally assigned to random different conditions

• 14 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am currently conducting a pilot study to test if my survey is working correctly. In the survey, participants are assigned to one of four conditions using the following survey flow:

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-14 om 17.39.39.pngHowever, when I download the data; it shows participants have only been equally divided among three of the four conditions (LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH). None of the participants are divided among the ZERO group. Of the 11 participants so far they have been divided by Qualtrics as following: 4 LOW, 4 MEDIUM, 3 HIGH, and 0 ZERO:
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-14 om 17.47.23.png

How do I change that Qualtrics also divides participants over the ZERO group?

With kind regards,

2 replies

I checked the "Edit Count" in the randomizer, it displays this:

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-14 om 17.56.44.png
So, should I get more respondents (19) before I can conclude that no participant is getting assigned to the ZERO condition (according to this counter, 4 should be allocated)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If your count shows 4 and your data shows 0, then that implies people aren't completing the survey.
However, randomization implies that the values will be picked from a uniform distribution and not necessarily themselves be uniformly distributed. So, it's possible, you may not get a zero even after 100 trials.

Leave a Reply