Branching based on multiple choice question | XM Community
Solved

Branching based on multiple choice question

• 14 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi, I've built my first survey but can't work out how to get the required branching working.
The survey starts with a multiple choice question that lists all the areas the respondent is familiar with, so for example, if the survey was about thoughts on different types of fruit, the multiple choice would say 'please select the fruits you eat from the list below'. I then have a block of questions for each type of fruit in the list, but would only want the respondent to be presented with questions on the types of fruit they have selected from the proceeding question. The questions may vary in each block. There would then be a final block of questions that all respondents would complete.
I may be taking the wrong approach with this and maybe I should not be using separate blocks for each topic but using skip logic instead.
Any advice would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by MatthewM 14 May 2021, 16:53

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi DG_66 ,
I think this is doable. Let's pretend the first question has three choices: blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Are you saying that you have a Block just for blueberries, another Block just for strawberries, and third one just for raspberries? If so, then you can use Branching Logic in the Survey Flow to display each Block as appropriate.
image.png

Thanks Matthew, yes, that's right. Where I'm struggling is to set up the different options based on which fruits are selected e.g. just show the block on blueberries, show the block on blueberries & raspberries, raspberries or strawberries or all three.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You'll just need three separate conditions in the Survey Flow. Let's say this is the "root" question (no pun intended).
image.pngThen your Survey Flow would be set up like this:
image.pngIf you previously set up Display Logic on individual questions within each block, make sure to remove all instances of that so you only have Branch Logic at the Block level.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Appreciate the advice as I'm on day 1 of being a Qualtrics user😀.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Welcome, and good luck!
BTW, if you haven't checked it out already, the Qualtrics support page on Survey Flow should give you a good understanding of this part of the platform.

Great, that's worked perfectly, thanks very much😀.

Leave a Reply