Saving and accessing responses to text/graphic questions | XM Community
Question

Saving and accessing responses to text/graphic questions

• 14 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello,
I have text/graphics questions (specifically text), and I have use javascript to implement the question.
My understanding is that, since their responses are stored as javascript variables, for qualtrics to save and report these responses I should create embedded data and save set the javascript variables as the embedded data.
If the above is correct, I have 2 questions:
1) Since I have multiple such questions, is there an easy way to create an embedded data for each such question, or do I need to manually create an embedded data for each question.
2) The javascript stores the information I am interested as an array. Therefore the embedded data is set as an array (specifically an array of objects). Is there any downside to this, or alternative suggested approach? In particular I am unsure of whether the object keys or the arrays will somehow be changed when qualtrics gives me the embedded data at the end.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Qualtrics saves all your EDs created using JS, but if you want to see them in your dataset, you'll have to create the relevant ED in the survey flow. So any ED you create always exists in the backend, but is only exposed after appearing in the survey flow.
1. If you have access to the API you can do that with code or you could download the QSF, fiddle with it (JSON format) and then upload it again.
2. Embedded data only stores strings, so ensure everything is converted appropriately.

An alternate solution would be to just dump all your EDs in an essay entry question and split them up while processing the data.

Leave a Reply