How would I ensure participants are seeing no more than two blocks of the same condition in a row? | XM Community
Solved

How would I ensure participants are seeing no more than two blocks of the same condition in a row?

Hi there,
I am currently attempting to design a self-referential encoding task ( see Derry & Kuiper, 1981) within Qualtrics so that participants can complete some questionnaires and the task on one platform. To quickly explain, there are 25 positive and 25 negative adjectives. Words are presented in groups of 5. Participants are either asked whether each of these words describes them after each word or whether the word is upper case or lower case (these are the 2 conditions).
Ultimately, I have been able to randomize the words as capital or non-capital. I have also been able to randomize the word order within each group of 5. The issue I am running into is that the there should not be more than two blocks of the same condition in a row. How would I ensure this? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Mishraji 18 May 2021, 15:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

Have you tried out the randomizer option in the survey flow? Group similar conditions within the same randomizer and set to only display two blocks. After every block set an embedded data to flag that the block has been displayed.
After one iteration of both conditions, add the randomizer again for each condition. In this randomizer add a branch logic to display the block if it was not displayed already.
Below is a screenshot of the survey flow for one such condition:

image.png

Thank you for the response. If I followed the main idea survey flow, is there any way to ensure participants will see all blocks at some point but never see the same block again?

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

Yes, all blocks will be displayed. You will have to add 3 randomizers for each condition (a total of 6 randomizers). The first and second randomizer should be set to display only two blocks while the third one set to display only one block.
image.pngimage.png

Leave a Reply