(automatically) Use survey response data in another survey | XM Community
Solved

(automatically) Use survey response data in another survey

• 17 August 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi all. I'm looking for an automated process to achieve my objective. Below is the basic scenario I am dealing with.

I work with team leaders (TL) and team members (TM). TMs fill out weekly progress reports with data including the number of hours worked (X). These reports are aggregated and sent to TLs as biweekly reports. TLs also fill out surveys. I would like to combine TL reports and surveys into a single operation to save time and promote efficiency. This means arranging the qualtrics surveys so that each TM's response (X1, X2, X3) are automatically populated into the TLs biweekly survey for their consideration and reflection.

is this possible? Clarification can be provided if needed.
icon

Best answer by NiC 17 August 2018, 23:37

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Hey @amcneely ,
You can follow the following steps:
1) use contact list trigger to save data into a contact list (This would be equivalent to storing files in a database)
2) Use Authenciator with the saved contact list in the survey where you want to fill the stored data (consider authenciator as a fetcher of data with a primary key). Once you retrieve a data row , the row header can be accessed as embedded data in the survey.
3) Populate this data into the required fields with piped text
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can use contact list trigger.

Or you can do with in same survey using trigger email and sending the retake link appended with the questions mean to Team leader. It will store all your respons s within same survey .
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes, email trigger is a good option.

- Consider 1 survey with 2 blocks

- First block will have questions for TM (in which i am assuming you are going to ask for their TL email id) and another block will have questions for TL

- In survey flow add these 2 embedded data... name it as "SurveyType" and ResponseID.

- In survey flow, add a logic for block TL. This block will only be displayed if "SurveyType" is equal to "TL"

- Then use "email trigger" trigger the email to the TL email id which the TM have entered into the question which you asked

- In the email body, placed the same survey URL and append it with "?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&SurveyType=TL" (this URL is known as retake link)

- The TL will receive the email as soon as TM completes the survey.
> @NotSoAnonymous said:
> Hey @amcneely ,
> You can follow the following steps:
> 1) use contact list trigger to save data into a contact list (This would be equivalent to storing files in a database)
> 2) Use Authenciator with the saved contact list in the survey where you want to fill the stored data (consider authenciator as a fetcher of data with a primary key). Once you retrieve a data row , the row header can be accessed as embedded data in the survey.
> 3) Populate this data into the required fields with piped text
>
>

Thanks @NotSoAnonymous , this seems like what I need. I have two issues in trying this. ~~the first is that the contact triggers list will not save if i try to include question data apart from the default info (ex. "hours worked" as a question). It seems to freeze when trying to save. is this a known issue that anyone has encountered?~~ the second (assuming the first can be corrected) is that I'm wondering if this process will work to display multiple TM responses to a single TL report.

edit: i fixed the saving issue. i was using a multichoice question and apparently that was the problem. a text entry seems to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @amcneely said:
> > @NotSoAnonymous said:
> > Hey @amcneely ,
> > You can follow the following steps:
> > 1) use contact list trigger to save data into a contact list (This would be equivalent to storing files in a database)
> > 2) Use Authenciator with the saved contact list in the survey where you want to fill the stored data (consider authenciator as a fetcher of data with a primary key). Once you retrieve a data row , the row header can be accessed as embedded data in the survey.
> > 3) Populate this data into the required fields with piped text
> >
> >
>
> Thanks @NotSoAnonymous , this seems like what I need. I have two issues in trying this. ~~the first is that the contact triggers list will not save if i try to include question data apart from the default info (ex. "hours worked" as a question). It seems to freeze when trying to save. is this a known issue that anyone has encountered?~~ the second (assuming the first can be corrected) is that I'm wondering if this process will work to display multiple TM responses to a single TL report.
>
> edit: i fixed the saving issue. i was using a multichoice question and apparently that was the problem. a text entry seems to work.

You can use multiple authencatior in a survey to fetch different responses (rows of data), you can call an authenciator use data and then call the next response , but the problem is you need to know how many times you are going to need the authenciator i.e. it can't be put on loop as per my limited knowledge
> @NotSoAnonymous said:
> > @amcneely said:
> > > @NotSoAnonymous said:
> > > Hey @amcneely ,
> > > You can follow the following steps:
> > > 1) use contact list trigger to save data into a contact list (This would be equivalent to storing files in a database)
> > > 2) Use Authenciator with the saved contact list in the survey where you want to fill the stored data (consider authenciator as a fetcher of data with a primary key). Once you retrieve a data row , the row header can be accessed as embedded data in the survey.
> > > 3) Populate this data into the required fields with piped text
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Thanks @NotSoAnonymous , this seems like what I need. I have two issues in trying this. ~~the first is that the contact triggers list will not save if i try to include question data apart from the default info (ex. "hours worked" as a question). It seems to freeze when trying to save. is this a known issue that anyone has encountered?~~ the second (assuming the first can be corrected) is that I'm wondering if this process will work to display multiple TM responses to a single TL report.
> >
> > edit: i fixed the saving issue. i was using a multichoice question and apparently that was the problem. a text entry seems to work.
>
> You can use multiple authencatior in a survey to fetch different responses (rows of data), you can call an authenciator use data and then call the next response , but the problem is you need to know how many times you are going to need the authenciator i.e. it can't be put on loop as per my limited knowledge

in theory I can see this working but no matter what I do I can't get the data I need to save in the contact list for loading into the TL survey. Tried multiple browsers and different computer and it just seems to be broken from top to bottom. No discernible reason for it to not work the way you say
Badge +2

Badge +2

Hi all, I'm trying to do something similar.
My goal is to create a Peer Review Process to my department products, here is the scenery:
1. A Lead Production from our team will fill out a survey about a product (e.g., name, audience, link to the material…), we are going to have several products entries.
2. The Reviewers, in another survey, will selected a product from a list, once the product is selected the survey will display the information about the product collected from the Lead Production survey. With this information displayed the Reviewer can start taking the survey questions.
Does anyone could give me some directions?
thanks
Matheus Cezarotto

Leave a Reply